In a typical size home in Cincinnati, up to 40lbs. of dust can accumulate annually. (National Air Duct Cleaners Association) The air inside a home is much dirtier than that outside. Through normal home living, we generate many contaminants and pollutants such as dander, bacteria and dust. On average, these contaminants get re-circulated in your HVAC system 5 to 7 times per day, leading to poor indoor air quality. If that is the air quality in a regular home with no projects, you can imagine how much dust may be generated while doing a remodeling project!
Duct cleaning after a remodel is particularly important for several reasons:
- Increased dust and debris: Remodeling activities generate a considerable amount of dust and debris, which can easily enter the ductwork. This can be especially problematic if your HVAC system is running during the remodel, as the dust and debris can quickly spread throughout the ventilation system and into the living spaces. Cleaning the ducts after the remodel helps eliminate these contaminants and prevents them from being distributed throughout the home.
- System efficiency: When dust and debris accumulate in the ductwork, they can restrict airflow and reduce the efficiency of your HVAC system. The system may have to work harder to distribute conditioned air, leading to increased energy consumption and higher utility bills. Cleaning the ducts ensures that air can flow freely, allowing the HVAC system to operate more efficiently and effectively.
- Odor removal: Remodeling activities can introduce unpleasant odors, such as paint fumes or chemical smells, into the home. These odors can become trapped in the ducts and linger even after the remodel is complete. Cleaning the ducts helps eliminate these odors, promoting a fresher and more pleasant indoor environment.
Even with the use of filters, the system will get dirty over time. This is especially important when considering newly built homes whose entire existence was one big construction project! The brand new HVAC system that you have spent thousands of dollars to install is immediately exposed to pounds of dust and dirt while the home is being built. This makes it even more important to clean air ducts before moving into a new place.
WHAT CAN INCREASE THE NEED FOR REGULAR CLEANING?
According to the NADCA, these other factors can also increase the need for regular HVAC duct cleaning:
- having pets
- occupants with allergies or asthma
- cigarette or cigar smoke
- water contamination or damage to the home or HVAC system
- home renovation or remodeling projects
If you just finished a remodeling project, have a newly built home or just want to breathe cleaner air, you may benefit from duct cleaning services.
You can schedule online at myqualitycomfort.com or call us at 513-620-4822.